The New Leader Weekly Briefing
In this week's weekly briefing: NLC alumni stand against hate, a capstone project takes on Jared Kushner's business to protect tenants, and more.
Policy, News and Events for the NLC Community
August 18, 2017
Highlights from the NLC Network
Events & Fellowship
The NLC Institute is the leading training program for progressive young professionals. NLC Fellows are equipped with the skills to run for office, manage campaigns, launch a business or start a nonprofit. From strategic communications to fundraising, entrepreneurship to coalition management, NLC Fellows master all the skills needed to lead the next generation.
- September 15-16; Chicago, IL
- Please join NLC for the NLC Millennial Compact with America National Conversation presented with NewDEAL Leaders. Millennial leaders, elected officials, and thought leaders will convene to discuss the innovative issues in the NLC Millennial Compact written by and for millennial leaders. Attendees will hear from keynotes speakers, network with rising star elected officials and NLC's network of millennial leaders. An agenda of the days' events will be available soon.
- Register to attend: http://www.newleaderscouncil.org/nlc_millennial_compact_national_conversation_registration
NLC Training Academy
- The NLC Training Academy is the newest expansion of our training offerings for the Progressive community. Currently, the NLC Training Academy offers courses in becoming one of our Life Entrepreneurship trainers for NLC Institute, becoming a NLC Certified Facilitator in other subject areas, or our non-partisan Emerging Leaders Political Bootcamp.This year, NLC is hosting its NLC Training Academy in Providence RI, Denver CO, and Houston TX this year. For more information, or to apply to attend one of our NLC Training Academy sessions.
- Register here: www.newleaderscouncil.org/trainingacademy
Bipartisan Policy Center: The Future of Trade in North America
- September 6; 8:00 am - 1:15 pm CT; Houston, TX
For almost a quarter of a century, the North American Free Trade Agreement has been a symbol of the relationship between Mexico, the United States, and Canada, the foundation of their economic interactions, and a facilitating framework for other cooperation arrangements. Regardless, NAFTA has never been popular in the United States, and then-candidate Donald Trump argued on the 2016 campaign trail that it has hurt the U.S. workforce, particularly in the manufacturing sector, and contributed to a ballooning trade deficit. As president, however, Trump is facing increased resistance to his efforts to revise NAFTA amid debates over the potential impact to the U.S. economy if the accord is revised without the proper forethought, or worse, revoked completely.
This conference brings together trade and industry experts and former government officials to explain the controversies behind NAFTA, the risks and opportunities of revising the agreement and the likely outcome of negotiation.
Register to attend: https://www.bakerinstitute.org/events/1884/
- Please RSVP by Monday, September 4.
The Brookings Institution: The role of innovation in reaching the Education Commission’s goals
- September 19; 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm; New York City, NY
- On September 19, the Center for Universal Education at Brookings (CUE) and the International Commission on Financing Global Education Opportunity (Education Commission) will co-host the launch of a report, “Can We Leapfrog? The Potential of Education Innovations to Rapidly Accelerate Progress,” on innovation and the potential to “leapfrog” education systems around the globe to provide breadth of skills for all learners. The report investigates innovation in the education ecosystem through a global scan of education practices and recommends actions furthering the Education Commission’s call for increased innovation to transform global education. The event will feature an overview of the report’s findings by Rebecca Winthrop, senior fellow and director of CUE, and showcase key innovators and implementers in the education sector.
- Register to attend: http://connect.brookings.edu/register-to-attend-innovation-education-commission
Have an event that we should promote? Send info to firstname.lastname@example.org
Policy & News
Comcast: Comcast Announces New Internet Essentials Program Milestones and Enhancements
Center for American Progress: 9 Solutions to Secure America’s Elections
The Brookings Institution: Investing in the next generation: A bottom-up approach to creating better outcomes for children and youth
Have a policy report that we should promote? Send info to email@example.com
The New Leader Updates & Opportunities
- Want to be a New Leader Contributor? Please reach out to NLC General Counsel & New Leader editor Brett Seifried at firstname.lastname@example.org
NLC Spotlight: did you start an organization, company or doing something amazing in your community? We would be honored to promote out to the greater network. Please reply to this email with a short blurb about your work and we can promote in the weekly briefing
- Subscribe to The New Republic with a special one year rate + free tote!
- Sign Up for Aspiration: Aspiration is a financial firm with a conscience with the mission of democratizing financial services with a business model built on fairness and trust. Aspiration was born to be the financial firm for all. Because everyone deserves access to the best banking and investing products. Everyone deserves a financial partner they are confident they can trust. And everyone deserves to put their money in an institution that puts “good” ahead of “greed.”Our “Pay What Is Fair” fees mean we go to work every day committed to do great for our customers. And as a financial firm with a conscience, we are motivated by the mission to help you make money and make a difference at the same time. Learn more at https://www.aspiration.com/about-us/
New Leaders Council has joined a promotional partnership with Aspiration. Each account opened through this link, Aspiration will contribute $35 to NLC's c3 efforts.