The New Leader - June 9
In this week's The New Leader Briefing: NLC leaders on the rise, alumni opportunities, and updates from other progressive organizations.
Policy, News and Events for the NLC Community
June 9, 2017
Highlights from the NLC Network
Axel Cooley (Detroit '15) is featured on the cover of Latino Press' "De Mujer a Mujer"
Fran Watson (Houston '15) is a 40 Under 40 in the Houston Business Journal
Elena Valentine (Chicago '15) is featured in Crain's Chicago Business for her work as a co-founder of Skill Scout
Kellan White (Philadelphia '13) is featured in Philladelphia Magazine for his work electing Rebecca Rhynhart
Events & Fellowship
The NLC Institute is the leading training program for progressive young professionals. NLC Fellows are equipped with the skills to run for office, manage campaigns, launch a business or start a nonprofit. From strategic communications to fundraising, entrepreneurship to coalition management, NLC Fellows master all the skills needed to lead the next generation.
July 20-22; Pittsburgh, PA
- Please join New Leaders Council for its annual National Leadership Retreat in Pittsburgh, PA. NLC chapter leadership, alumni and members of the progressive community will meet in Pittsburgh this summer, July 20-22nd to unite, act, and rise. Attendees will be a play a crucial role in charting NLC's course for the future. The annual retreat in Pittsburgh will unite the NLC community around a shared vision for our future, inspire us to act, and rise to meet the obstacles as we work to build a more progressive America.
- September 15-16; Chicago, IL
- Please join NLC for the NLC Millennial Compact National Conversation presented with NewDEAL Leaders. Millennial leaders, elected officials, and thought leaders will convene to discuss the innovative issues in the NLC Millennial Compact written by and for millennial leaders. Attendees will hear from keynotes speakers, network with rising star elected officials and NLC's network of millennial leaders. An agenda of the days' events will be available soon.
- Register: http://www.newleaderscouncil.org/nlc_millennial_compact_national_conversation_registration
NLC NYC Fellows Fundraiser: IGNITE!
- June 15; New York, New York
- New Leaders Council NYC 2017 Fellows class is hard at work, sparking the next generation of progressive leadership. Join us at the Union Square Ballroom to celebrate! Hear from our keynote speakers Rashad Robinson, the Executive Director of the nation's largest online racial justice organization, Color Of Change, and Kerry Kennedy, the President of the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights organization, which advocates for a more just and peaceful world!
The Brookings Institution: What’s next for global internet freedom under the Trump administration?
- June 14; 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm; Washington, DC
- Internet freedom remains a significant challenge around the world. Highly restrictive countries, such as China and Iran, block residents from accessing search engines, social networks, and news organizations. The U.S. has previously supported the rights of all internet users to freedom of expression, assembly, and association online. However, the Obama administration’s internet freedom agenda has not yet been addressed by the Trump administration. How will the new administration balance internet freedom with its other foreign policy goals? How should the United States promote internet freedom through its trade partnerships? On June 14, the Center for Technology Innovation at Brookings will host an event to explore the potential strategic and implementation changes that lie ahead in the area of internet freedom. A panel of experts will discuss the potential impact on U.S. foreign policy initiatives, international relations, and the Trump administration’s goal of negotiating lower trade barriers for American companies. After the session, panelists will take audience questions.
- Register: http://connect.brookings.edu/register-to-attend-internet-freedom%20
Center for America Progress: Race in America: A Conversation with Mayor Landrieu
- June 16; 10:00 am - 11:00 am; Washington, D.C.
- The Center for American Progress will host Mayor Landrieu, who will deliver keynote remarks on his decision to take down the confederate monuments, followed by an armchair discussion with the mayor and CAP’s own president and CEO, Neera Tanden, on the sentiments he expressed in his speech and the future of a movement for unity while honoring our diversity and acknowledging our shared history.
- Register: https://www.americanprogress.org/events/2017/06/07/433808/race-in-america-a-conversation-with-mayor-landrieu/?evlc=rsvp
Bipartisan Policy Institute: Promoting Affordability and Accountability in the U.S. Higher Education System
- June 20; 10:00 am - 11:30 am; Washington, DC
- Join us for a discussion with university presidents on rising costs and the higher education system. The discussion will focus on how states, institutions of higher education, and the federal government can work to promote affordability and accountability. The American higher education system is plagued with skyrocketing costs and lackluster graduation rates. Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have expressed displeasure with the status quo. With re-authorization of the Higher Education Act on the horizon, there exists potential for bipartisan reforms that improve the post-secondary education system for American students and their families.
- Register: https://bipartisanpolicy.org/events/promoting-affordability-and-accountability-in-the-u-s-higher-education-system/
Have an event that we should promote? Send info to email@example.com
Policy & News
The New Deal: State & Local Leaders Can Drive Democrats' Agenda
Center for American Progress: How Gainful Employment Reduces the Government’s Loan Forgiveness Costs
Progressive Policy Institute: Berg for Washington Monthly, “Trump’s Betrayal of the Hungry Working Class”
The Brookings Institution: A paid parental leave policy Republicans and Democrats might agree on
Have a policy report that we should promote? Send info to firstname.lastname@example.org
The New Leader Updates & Opportunities
- Want to be a New Leader Contributor? Please reach out to NLC General Counsel & New Leader editor Brett Seifried at email@example.com
NLC Spotlight: did you start an organization, company or doing something amazing in your community? We would be honored to promote out to the greater network. Please reply to this email with a short blurb about your work and we can promote in the weekly briefing
- Subscribe to The New Republic with a special one year rate + free tote!
- Sign Up for Aspiration: Aspiration is a financial firm with a conscience with the mission of democratizing financial services with a business model built on fairness and trust. Aspiration was born to be the financial firm for all. Because everyone deserves access to the best banking and investing products. Everyone deserves a financial partner they are confident they can trust. And everyone deserves to put their money in an institution that puts “good” ahead of “greed.”Our “Pay What Is Fair” fees mean we go to work every day committed to do great for our customers. And as a financial firm with a conscience, we are motivated by the mission to help you make money and make a difference at the same time. Learn more at https://www.aspiration.com/about-us/
New Leaders Council has joined a promotional partnership with Aspiration. Each account opened through this link, Aspiration will contribute $35 to NLC's c3 efforts.