The New Leader Weekly Briefing
In this week's TNL Briefing: "Free College" Isn't Enough: Four Pieces to a Progressive Education Platform, Cyntoia Brown and the Child Sentencing Factory, and more.
January 12, 2018
Featured in The New Leader
Highlights from the NLC Network
Five NLC New Jersey leaders named to top positions in Governor-elect Phil Murphy's administration
Molly Hanson (NLC Des Moines'17) featured in "A New Approach to Water Quality" in DSM Magazine!
NLC Alumni Engagement Series featuring Laura Quinn, CEO of Catalist.
- Catalist, along with dozens of partner organizations, is launching a project to show that in 2018, there’s a better way to source, develop and tell stories that carry progressive values and reach Americans of all stripes. At the end of the briefing, Catalist will share the timeline and process for the rest of the project and let you know how you can plug in.
- RSVP: http://www.newleaderscouncil.org/quinn
Center for American Progress: In Class Not Cuffs: Rethinking School Discipline
- January 16, 2018, 9:30 am - 11:00 am, Washington, DC
- For decades, it has been evident that public schools overdiscipline students of color. Evidence suggests these disparities result from implicit bias and zero-tolerance approaches, and these practices widen the achievement gap and prematurely introduce students to the criminal justice system. Under former President Barack Obama, the U.S. Department of Education took measures to address discipline disparities by helping states, schools, and districts build safer, inclusive schools. The department issued a Dear Colleague Letter and made available a range of school climate and discipline resources. Critics expressed concern that these measures placed unreasonable mandates on overburdened systems and made schools unsafe by preventing educators from disciplining students. In October, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos signaled that she may rescind the Obama-era guidance. By issuing this guidance, the federal government took an important, overdue step to protect the rights of historically disadvantaged students, and we must fight to preserve it. The Center for American Progress is bringing together researchers, policy experts, and practitioners to highlight productive ways education leaders have complied with the guidance, potential concerns, and what could be at stake if the Trump administration rescinds it. Please join the Center for American Progress, Educators for Excellence, Sen. Chris Murphy, and an expert panel to discuss how this guidance and other tools can help schools and systems eliminate discipline disparities.
- Register Here to Attend
Bipartisan Policy Center: Reinventing Rural Health Care: A Case Study of 7 Upper Midwest States
- January 17, 2018, 9:30 am - 11:00 am, Washington, DC
- To better understand the challenges and opportunities rural communities face with health care delivery and infrastructure, the Bipartisan Policy Center led an effort over the past 6 months to learn from those on the ground working to improve patient care. Join us on January 17, 2018 as we release the findings from our efforts and discuss the path forward to creating a sustainable, quality, affordable rural health care system.
- Register Here to Attend
Have an event that we should promote? Send info to email@example.com
Policy & News
Center for American Progress: 3 Ways that States Can Stop Ongoing Health Care Sabotage
The Brookings Institution: The long-term impact of aging on the federal budget
Have a policy report that we should promote? Send info to firstname.lastname@example.org
The New Leader Updates & Opportunities
- Want to be a New Leader Contributor? Please reach out to NLC Vice President of External Affairs & Strategic Partnerships Alise Roderer at email@example.com
NLC Spotlight: did you start an organization, company or doing something amazing in your community? We would be honored to promote out to the greater network. Please reply to this email with a short blurb about your work and we can promote in the weekly briefing
- Subscribe to The New Republic with a special one year rate + free tote!
- Sign Up for Aspiration: Aspiration is a financial firm with a conscience with the mission of democratizing financial services with a business model built on fairness and trust. Aspiration was born to be the financial firm for all. Because everyone deserves access to the best banking and investing products. Everyone deserves a financial partner they are confident they can trust. And everyone deserves to put their money in an institution that puts “good” ahead of “greed.”Our “Pay What Is Fair” fees mean we go to work every day committed to do great for our customers. And as a financial firm with a conscience, we are motivated by the mission to help you make money and make a difference at the same time. Learn more at https://www.aspiration.com/about-us/
New Leaders Council has joined a promotional partnership with Aspiration. Each account opened through this link, Aspiration will contribute $35 to NLC's c3 efforts.