The New Leader Weekly Briefing
In this week's briefing: NLC community candidates win BIG across the country, event opportunities, and more!
Policy, News and Events for the NLC Community
November 10, 2017
Highlights from the NLC Network
READ: NLC Millennial Compact with America: New Leaders Council unveiled its Millennial Compact with America in September. A comprehensive policy agenda written for and by millennial leaders focusing on innovating our economy, communities and democracy. NLC wants to make the development of this policy agenda a inclusive process with the NLC community and the greater progressive movement, we are inviting you to give thoughts and feedback on how to improve this agenda.
Please read the Millennial Compact with America and provide feedback here: newleaderscouncil.org/compact
Twenty-one NLC leaders who won on Election Day: Progressives made big strides across the country Tuesday night with voters clearly turning their backs on hateful and divisive rhetoric and policies, and turning to those with positive messages of inclusion and progress. We're proud of the many individuals in our community who stepped up and ran for office and for those who put in their blood, sweat and tears to get progressives elected.
Meet the newly elected NLC leaders here: newleaderscouncil.org/nlceday2017
NLC Honorary Co-Chair Michael Blake discusses the results of Election Day 2017 with Spectrum News NY1. Watch here!
Former NLC Development Director Melanie Oubre is featured for her work with Emerge Louisiana. Read more here!
NLC New York City: Celebrating Leadership in Gender Equity
- November 30 at 6:30PM at NYC - Flight Deck
- Purchase your ticket: nyc.newleaderscouncil.org/fundraiser
Center for American Progress: 2017: The Year the Disability Community Reshaped Progressive Politics
- November 14, 10:00 am ET - 11:00 am ET, Washington, DC
- Please join the Center for American Progress for a discussion about what progressives can learn from the disability rights movement—and how it can strengthen the work of its sibling movements.
- Register here: https://www.americanprogress.org/events/2017/11/07/442398/2017-year-disability-community-reshaped-progressive-politics/?evlc=rsvp
The Brookings Institution: Outcomes and challenges in US cities with public school choice
- November 14, 9:00 am - 10:30 am, Washington, DC
- Public school choice is the new normal in cities across the country, but it is still a hot-button issue for families, educators, and policymakers alike. To shed light on this debate, the Center on Reinventing Public Education (CRPE) has conducted research in 18 cities that are pursuing school choice reforms. CRPE researchers assessed the degree to which students have access to a quality education, school systems are continuously improving, and communities are part of the education strategy. They found encouraging signs coupled with evidence of persistent challenges. On Nov. 14, the Brown Center on Education Policy at Brookings will partner with CRPE to convene a panel of education leaders and experts to discuss the current state of urban school choice. They will explore questions of what is—and is not—working well in cities that have pursued public school choice reforms, which cities are leading the way, and how today’s school choice initiatives can and must better meet the needs of students, families, and communities.
- Register to Attend: http://connect.brookings.edu/register-to-attend-cities-school-choice
- Register for Webcast: http://connect.brookings.edu/register-to-watch-cities-school-choice
Bipartisan Policy Center: Bridging the Retirement Divide: Reaching Small Business Owners and Workers
- November 15, 10:00 am - 12:30 pm, Washington, DC
Small businesses in the United States account for 17 percent of the workforce and 63 percent of all new job creation. But the hard-charging entrepreneurs who keep these businesses running often struggle to set up retirement plans for themselves and their workers. These are busy proprietors trying to keep the lights on, after all. And setting up a retirement plan can be complicated and costly — or at least that’s the conventional wisdom. But what if the conventional wisdom is wrong?
This event will explore current innovations in the public and private sectors that are changing the way retirement benefits are delivered to small businesses. Hanging in the balance are the 32 million small business employees who lack access to a workplace retirement plan. Bridging this coverage gap will require new types of retirement plans that are well-integrated with firms’ payroll systems, make use of technology for low-cost compliance and investment, and exist within a well-designed regulatory and policy structure.
Join us as we partner with The Aspen Institute and The Pew Charitable Trusts to tackle all of these issues and more, spotlighting some of the potential breakthrough solutions currently being implemented.
- Register Here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bridging-the-retirement-divide-reaching-small-business-owners-and-workers-tickets-39083911030
- Register for Webcast: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/webcast-bridging-the-retirement-divide-reaching-small-business-owners-and-workers-tickets-39259011761
Have an event that we should promote? Send info to firstname.lastname@example.org
Policy & News
Center for American Progress: Water as a Human Right: How Philadelphia Is Preventing Shut-Offs and Ensuring Affordability
The Brookings Institution: What the Virginia and New Jersey elections tell us about public polling and Donald Trump
Have a policy report that we should promote? Send info to email@example.com
The New Leader Updates & Opportunities
- Want to be a New Leader Contributor? Please reach out to NLC Vice President of External Affairs & Strategic Partnerships Alise Roderer at firstname.lastname@example.org
NLC Spotlight: did you start an organization, company or doing something amazing in your community? We would be honored to promote out to the greater network. Please reply to this email with a short blurb about your work and we can promote in the weekly briefing
- Subscribe to The New Republic with a special one year rate + free tote!
- Sign Up for Aspiration: Aspiration is a financial firm with a conscience with the mission of democratizing financial services with a business model built on fairness and trust. Aspiration was born to be the financial firm for all. Because everyone deserves access to the best banking and investing products. Everyone deserves a financial partner they are confident they can trust. And everyone deserves to put their money in an institution that puts “good” ahead of “greed.”Our “Pay What Is Fair” fees mean we go to work every day committed to do great for our customers. And as a financial firm with a conscience, we are motivated by the mission to help you make money and make a difference at the same time. Learn more at https://www.aspiration.com/about-us/
New Leaders Council has joined a promotional partnership with Aspiration. Each account opened through this link, Aspiration will contribute $35 to NLC's c3 efforts.