The New Leader Weekly Update
Check out the most recent update from The New Leader. In this update: Digital Organizing Bootcamps, Progressive Events, and more.
Policy, News and Events for the NLC Community
March 31, 2017
The New Leader Updates & Opportunities
- Want to be a New Leader Contributor? Please reach out to NLC General Counsel & New Leader editor Brett Seifried at email@example.com
NLC Spotlight: did you start an organization, company or doing something amazing in your community? We would be honored to promote out to the greater network. Please reply to this email with a short blurb about your work and we can promote in the weekly briefing
- Subscribe to The New Republic with a special one year rate + free tote!
- Sign UP for Aspiration: Aspiration is a financial firm with a conscience with the mission of democratizing financial services with a business model built on fairness and trust. Aspiration was born to be the financial firm for all. Because everyone deserves access to the best banking and investing products. Everyone deserves a financial partner they are confident they can trust. And everyone deserves to put their money in an institution that puts “good” ahead of “greed.”Our “Pay What Is Fair” fees mean we go to work every day committed to do great for our customers. And as a financial firm with a conscience, we are motivated by the mission to help you make money and make a difference at the same time. Learn more at https://www.aspiration.com/about-us/
New Leaders Council has joined a promotional partnership with Aspiration. Each account opened through this link, Aspiration will contribute $35 to NLC's c3 efforts.
Digital Organizing Bootcamps
NLC Senior Digital Fellow Beth Becker is hosting two week-long Digital Organizing Bootcamps this summer in New York City (June 11-17) and Denver (July 9-15)!
- Throughout the week of each training, you will get a hands-on in-depth training on topics like creating content, executing content calendars, best practices for websites, e-mail, social media, and more.
The Brookings Institution: Annual research and policy symposium: Skills for a changing world
- April 5; 9:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, Washington, DC
- On April 5, the Center for Universal Education at Brookings will host its annual research and policy symposium, which will mark the launch of "Skills for a Changing World: National Perspectives and Global Movements," a new report on the current global, regional, and national level movement toward recognizing breadth of skills within education systems. The report includes summary case studies from Kenya, Mexico, Philippines, and South Africa. Through a series of public discussions, the symposium will highlight current views across curriculum, assessment, and pedagogy on including a range of skills. Policymakers, teachers, researchers, and thought leaders will discuss design and implementation practices to ensure all children have high-quality learning opportunities that build the skills necessary to create vibrant, healthy societies in a rapidly changing world.
- Register for Attendance: http://connect.brookings.edu/register-to-attend-annual-symposium-skills
- Register for Webcast: http://connect.brookings.edu/register-to-watch-annual-symposium-skills
Economic Innovation Group: Union Market Talks: The New Urban Crisis
- April 11; 9:30 am - 11:00 am EST, Washington, DC
- Join Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser, Urbanist and Author Richard Florida, EDENS’ CEO Jodie W. McLean, The Atlantic’s Ron Brownstein, the Economic Innovation Group’s Steve Glickman, ULI Senior Fellow and former mayor of Pittsburgh, Tom Murphy, and more for discussions on building inclusive prosperity in our cities. America’s urban revival has turned into a new urban crisis. Our great creative communities have become increasingly unequal and unaffordable. We need a new pathway and playbook going forward. Inclusive prosperity is a framework to move beyond our current urban divides, where city and community leaders, urbanists, neighborhood activists and businesses work together to create opportunities for all.
- Register: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/union-market-talks-the-new-urban-crisis-tickets-32408691268
Have an event that we should promote? Send info to firstname.lastname@example.org
Policy & News
Center for American Progress: Why Trump Officials Won’t Deny Climate Change
Progressive Policy Institute: Gerwin for CNBC: How the US economy could suffer—bigly—under Trump’s trade agenda
Economic Innovation Group: New bill does hard job of injecting capital into needy communities
The Brookings Institution: Health governance capacity: Enhancing private sector investment in global health
Bipartisan Policy Center: America’s Student Debt Explosion: Understanding the Federal Government’s Role
Walton Family Foundation: Getting Up to Speed on Character Education
Bellwether Education Partners: A Formula That Works: Five ways to strengthen school funding in Ohio
Have a policy report that we should promote? Send info to email@example.com