The New Leader Weekly Briefing
In this week's The New Leader Briefing: 5 NLCers elected to local office, upcoming NLC events you won't want to miss, and more.
Policy, News and Events for the NLC Community
May 19, 2017
The New Leader Updates & Opportunities
- Want to be a New Leader Contributor? Please reach out to NLC General Counsel & New Leader editor Brett Seifried at email@example.com
NLC Spotlight: did you start an organization, company or doing something amazing in your community? We would be honored to promote out to the greater network. Please reply to this email with a short blurb about your work and we can promote in the weekly briefing
- Subscribe to The New Republic with a special one year rate + free tote!
- Sign Up for Aspiration: Aspiration is a financial firm with a conscience with the mission of democratizing financial services with a business model built on fairness and trust. Aspiration was born to be the financial firm for all. Because everyone deserves access to the best banking and investing products. Everyone deserves a financial partner they are confident they can trust. And everyone deserves to put their money in an institution that puts “good” ahead of “greed.”Our “Pay What Is Fair” fees mean we go to work every day committed to do great for our customers. And as a financial firm with a conscience, we are motivated by the mission to help you make money and make a difference at the same time. Learn more at https://www.aspiration.com/about-us/
New Leaders Council has joined a promotional partnership with Aspiration. Each account opened through this link, Aspiration will contribute $35 to NLC's c3 efforts.
- NLC Senior Media Fellow Krystal Ball’s book Reversing the Apocalypse: Hijacking the Democratic Party to Save the World is out now! Former MSNBC Host and Progressive Activist Krystal Ball dissects what went wrong with the Democratic Party over the last 30 years-culminating in the electoral apocalypse of 2016. Krystal argues that Donald Trump is a predictable response to the massive economic dislocation of the past 40 years.
- Johnathan Holifield's book The Future Economy and Inclusive Competitiveness will be out soon. In this groundbreaking book, the Architect of Inclusive Competitiveness, Innovation Economy leader, civil rights advocate and former NFL athlete, Johnathan M. Holifield shines a bright light on shifting demographic trends in the United States and the dramatic impact this will have on our economic future: the potential pitfalls as well as the extraordinary opportunities for shared socio-economic prosperity.
Events & Fellowship
The NLC Institute is the leading training program for progressive young professionals. NLC Fellows are equipped with the skills to run for office, manage campaigns, launch a business or start a nonprofit. From strategic communications to fundraising, entrepreneurship to coalition management, NLC Fellows master all the skills needed to lead the next generation.
July 20-22; Pittsburgh, PA
- Please join New Leaders Council for its annual National Leadership Retreat in Pittsburgh, PA. NLC chapter leadership, alumni and members of the progressive community will meet in Pittsburgh this summer, July 20-22nd to unite, act, and rise. Attendees will be a play a crucial role in charting NLC's course for the future. The annual retreat in Pittsburgh will unite the NLC community around a shared vision for our future, inspire us to act, and rise to meet the obstacles as we work to build a more progressive America.
- September 15-16; Chicago, IL
- Please join NLC for the NLC Millennial Compact National Conversation presented with NewDEAL Leaders. Millennial leaders, elected officials, and thought leaders will convene to discuss the innovative issues in the NLC Millennial Compact written by and for millennial leaders. Attendees will hear from keynotes speakers, network with rising star elected officials and NLC's network of millennial leaders. An agenda of the days' events will be available soon.
- Register: http://www.newleaderscouncil.org/nlc_millennial_compact_national_conversation_registration
Advanced Energy Economy: Webinar: Innovations in Corporate Renewable Energy Procurement
- May 24; 10:00 am PT/ 1:00 pm ET
- At the state level, AEE is focused on expanding corporate access to advanced energy to make it easier for companies to control their energy costs and meet corporate sustainability goals. Working with both purchasers and developers, AEE is focused on removing barriers and creating new purchasing pathways for companies both large and small.
The Brookings Institution: The future of school-based social and emotional learning programs
- May 31; 9:00 am - 11:00 am; Washington, DC
- Social and emotional learning (SEL) skills—the thinking, behavioral, and regulatory skills needed to interact effectively with others—are strongly associated with success in school and life. Because these skills are not only measurable, but also malleable, there is growing interest in research that demonstrates the effectiveness of school-based SEL programs, and in policies aimed at increasing their prevalence. On Wednesday, May 31, Princeton University and the Brookings Institution will release the latest issue of The Future of Children—a journal that promotes effective, evidence-based policies and programs for children. The current issue, titled “Social and Emotional Learning,” focuses on the promise of school-based social and emotional learning programs to support children’s success. Following a presentation of the latest journal volume and policy brief, Special Olympics Committee President Timothy Shriver will give keynote remarks and participate in a moderated discussion with Clark McKown, Executive Director of the Rush NeuroBehavioral Center. Shriver and McKown will then take questions from the audience. The event will conclude with expert panel discussion of SEL programs. Panelists will take questions from the audience.
- Register to attend: http://connect.brookings.edu/register-to-attend-social-emotional-learning
- Register for webinar: http://connect.brookings.edu/register-to-watch-social-emotional-learning
Have an event that we should promote? Send info to firstname.lastname@example.org
Highlights from the NLC Network
Josh Nadzam (NLC Kentucky ‘15) and Jacqueline Porter (NLC Tallahassee ’17) named 2017 Emerging City Champions by the Knight Foundation to lead innovative urban projects
Marita Garrett (NLC Pittsburgh Advisory), Nick Melvoin (NLC Los Angeles ’15), Ana del Rocío (NLC Portland Advisory), Matt Shorrow (NLC Pittsburgh ’17) and Katherine Stephens (NLC Capital District NY ’17) won elections in local races in their communities
Leigh-Ann Buchanan (NLC Miami ’14) honored with Women of Distinction Award by Dade County Bar Association
Jordan Ball (NLC Pittsburgh ’15): Finding My Religion in Rural Appalachia
Policy & News
Center for American Progress: Toward a Marshall Plan for America
Progressive Policy Institute: Osborne for EducationNext Podcast: Indianapolis’ Unique Pursuit of Choice
The Brookings Institution: Census shows pervasive decline in 2016 minority voter turnout
Have a policy report that we should promote? Send info to email@example.com